Saturday, November 5
10 a.m.-1 p.m. Eastern (9 a.m.-12 p.m. Central)
Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington, DC
What next faithful step is God calling your church to take? It is vital to know God’s direction — or vision — for your congregation. Proverbs reminds us that without a vision, the people perish. Churches without a clear and compelling vision falter because the way things are is never synonymous with God’s ultimate will.
But from where does vision come? How do you know if the vision is right? And how do you communicate the vision so that it lives in your congregation’s culture?
At Discovering God’s Future for your Church, you will learn how to discern God’s vision for your congregation — a step-by-step process for considering the strengths, challenges, and people that God has given you both in your church and in your community. This process can reveal what God is calling your congregation to be and to do.
You will learn that whether God’s vision for your church is large or small, it has to be right for your congregation — right at this time, right in your context. And you will learn how to make this vision come alive in your church to be faithful and fruitful to God’s will.
- Your Church’s Future and the Clarity of Vision
- How to Discern a Vision
- Living the Vision
- The Power of Vision
Conference attendees may participate in person at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, DC, or via live stream across the globe from their computers and mobile devices. Discovering God’s Future for Your Church is ecumenical and designed for both laity and clergy.
Dr. Lovett H. Weems, Jr., is distinguished professor of church leadership of Wesley Theological Seminary and director of the Lewis Center.
|9:30–10:00 a.m.||Registration for in-person attendees|
|10:00–10:05 a.m.||Welcome and Announcements|
|10:05–11:30 a.m.||Session 1: Your Church’s Future and the Clarity of Vision|
|Session 2: How to Discern a Vision|
|11:50 a.m.–12:55 p.m.||Question Time|
|Session 3: Living the Vision|
|Session 4: The Power of Vision|
Discovering God’s Future for Your Church is a turn-key video tool kit to help you implement in your church the process of discerning and living God’s vision. The resource includes video segments, discussion exercises, planning tools, and much more to guide a congregational visioning process. The tool kit will be available on download and DVD/CD in early December. Preorder through November 5 and save.
Attending via Live Stream
Live stream attendees will view the entire conference from their computer or mobile device via a link they receive via email prior to the event. Attendees will receive outlines, written materials, and supplementary materials via email. Live stream attendees may participate in the question time electronically.
- Live Stream Registration
- $50 for one person
- $75 for groups of two or more people
How to Register
- Register online for live stream.
Live Stream Technical Requirements
- You should be able to view live streams automatically without installing any additional software or doing anything special. Computer: We recommend viewing on an up-to-date version of Firefox or Chrome. You can only watch a live stream if you have a consistent broadband internet connection; dial-up is discouraged. We recommend viewing on the best possible connection you can find. Mobile phones and tablets: The live stream is available for viewing on most iOS and Android devices. Do not use private browsing mode on Safari on iOS. Use Wi-Fi rather than 3G or 4G connection whenever possible.
- Detailed technical requirements and troubleshooting information are here.
Attending in Person
The conference will be held in the Oxnam Chapel at Wesley Theological Seminary, 4500 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC. Attendees will receive outlines, written materials, and supplementary materials. Coffee and tea will be provided.
- In-person Conference Registration
- $50 per person
- Current Wesley Theological Seminary students may register free for the in-person conference.
How to Register
- Register online for in-person conference through November 3.
- Download PDF to register for in-person conference and pay by mail.
- Wesley student registration through November 3
Please contact Joe Arnold, research manager of the Lewis Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 885-8560.