Saturday, March 10
10 a.m.-1 p.m. Eastern (9 a.m.-12 p.m. Central)
Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington, DC
Managing church finances requires skill, dedication, and know-how, but also the heart of a steward.
Protect, Sustain, Grow: Best Practices for Handling Your Church’s Money provides practical advice, best practices, and resources for pastors, finance committee members, church treasurers, financial secretaries, and bookkeepers — all those charged with the sacred trust of protecting, sustaining, and growing the resources God has entrusted to your church.
- The Ministry of Financial Management
- Protecting Your Church’s Money through Oversight and Integrity
- Sustaining Your Church’s Ministry through Paying Attention
- Growing Your Church’s Money through New Sources and Means of Giving
Attendees may participate in person at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, DC, or via livestream from their own computer or mobile device across the globe. Protect, Sustain, Grow: Best Practices for Handling Your Church’s Money is ecumenical and designed for all church leaders.
Dr. Ann A. Michel is associate director of the Lewis Center and teaches in the areas of stewardship and leadership.
Dr. Lovett H. Weems, Jr., is senior consultant of the Lewis Center and Distinguished Professor of Church Leadership at Wesley Theological Seminary.
Dr. Daryl L. Williams is senior pastor of Saint Paul Church of Oxon Hill, Maryland, and is the former executive director of the United Methodist Foundation of the Baltimore Washington Conference.
|9:30–10:00 a.m.||Registration for In-person Attendees|
|10:00–10:05 a.m.||Welcome and Announcements|
|10:05–10:20 a.m.||Why We Are Here|
|10:20–10:50 a.m.||Protecting Your Church’s Money through Oversight and Integrity (Budgeting and accounting, separation of duties, integrity of the offering, integrity controls, and auditing)|
|10:50–11:20 a.m.||Sustaining Your Church’s Ministry through Paying Attention (Essential funds, monitoring, and paying attention to the right things)|
|11:40–11:55 a.m.||Theology of Money|
|11:55 a.m.–12:25 p.m.||Growing Your Church’s Money through New Sources and Means of Giving (Expanding sources of income and expanding ways for people to give)|
|12:25–12:55 p.m.||Management as Stewardship|
|12:55–1 p.m.||Closing and Sending Forth|
Attending via Livestream
Livestream attendees will view the entire conference from their computer or mobile device through a link they receive via email prior to the event. Attendees will receive outlines, written materials, and supplementary materials upon receipt of payment. Livestream attendees may ask questions electronically.
- Livestream Registration
- $50 for one person
- $75 for groups of two or more people
How to Register
- Register online for livestream.
Livestream Technical Requirements
- You should be able to view livestreams automatically without installing any additional software or doing anything special. Computer: We recommend viewing on an up-to-date version of Firefox or Chrome. You can only watch a livestream if you have a consistent broadband internet connection; dial-up is discouraged. We recommend viewing on the best possible connection you can find. Mobile phones and tablets: The livestream is available for viewing on most iOS and Android devices. Do not use private browsing mode on Safari on iOS. Use Wi-Fi rather than 3G or 4G connection whenever possible.
- Detailed technical requirements and troubleshooting information are at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004954946-Joining-a-Webinar-Attendee-for.
Attending in Person
The conference will be held in the Kresge Building at Wesley Theological Seminary, 4500 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC. Attendees will receive outlines, written materials, and supplementary materials. Coffee and tea will be provided.
- In-person Conference Registration
- $50 per person
- Current Wesley Theological Seminary students may register free for the in-person conference.
How to Register
- Register online for in-person conference through March 3.
- Download PDF to register for in-person conference and pay by mail.
- Wesley student in-person conference registration through March 3
Please contact Matt Lyons, marketing manager of the Lewis Center, at email@example.com or (202) 664-5703.