Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D. is the 16th Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). In this role, he oversees the work of the largest supporter of biomedical research in the world, spanning the spectrum from basic to clinical research. Dr. Collins is a physician-geneticist noted for his landmark discoveries of disease genes and his leadership of the international Human Genome Project, which culminated in April 2003 with the completion of a finished sequence of the human DNA instruction book. He served as director of the National Human Genome Research Institute at NIH from 1993-2008. Before coming to NIH, Dr. Collins was a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator at the University of Michigan. He is an elected member of the National Academy of Medicine and the National Academy of Sciences, was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in November 2007, and received the National Medal of Science in 2009.
Religion and Science is a mid-level course that does not require a background in science to understand it. Each of the nine lessons is freestanding, so it is easy to adapt the course to your particular needs.
Lessons and Video Presentations
- Introduction — Francis S. Collins (26:29)
- Friends or Foes? The Story of a Complex Relationship — David A. Wilkinson, St. John’s College (25:31)
- Truth in Science and Religion — Philip Clayton, Claremont School of Theology (29:42)
- God and Nature — Keith Ward, Oxford University (31:32)
- Creation and Evolution — Darrel Falk, Point Loma Nazarene University (26:27)
- What Does it Mean to be Human? — Warren Brown, Fuller Theological Seminary (28:14)
- The God of Hope and the End of the World — John Polkinghorne, Cambridge University (27:09)
- Genetic Science and the Frontiers of Ethics — Ted Peters, Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (29:21)
- Concluding Bible Study on Creation Care — Beth Norcross, Denise Dombkowski Hopkins, Bruce Birch, Susan Willhauck, and Kendall Soulen, Wesley Theological Seminary (32:00)
Sample Video Clips from Lessons 2-9
Bonus Video Presentations
- A Conversation Between Francis S. Collins and Nobel Laureate William Phillips, NIST (6:03)
- The Dawkins Delusion? — Alister McGrath, Oxford University (30:37)
- Reflections on a Life of Faith and Science — Nobel Laureate Charles Townes, Berkeley (19:03)
- Natural Selection and the Economy of Grace — Amy Laura Hall, Duke Divinity School (20:54)
- Two Different Faith Journeys — Francis S. Collins and Nobel Laureate William Phillips, NIST (9:33)
About the Download
Videos and PDFs are available for download individually upon purchase. All the files together are 1.6 GB, so you may wish to save everything to a flash drive.
Upon purchase, you will receive an email that includes the download links and your receipt. Please save this email if you do not download all files at once. If you do not receive this email, please check your email spam or junk folder. All files will be available for download for one year from date of purchase.