Engaging Local Schools Resource
Increasing numbers of churches are considering how they can best support and engage their local schools. Through videos, presentations, and supplemental materials, the Engaging Local Schools
Resource guides your congregation in considering questions that are critical to the success of a school-focused service initiative:
- How can your church express more fully a heart for the needs of children and schools?
- How can you discern a vision for a school partnership that responds to the needs present in your context and utilizes the unique gifts your church has to offer?
- What are models and best practices for ministries that support students and teachers?
Engaging Local Schools is ecumenical and designed for both self study and for use with groups in your church.
Rev. Tom Berlin — pastor of Floris United Methodist Church in Herndon, Va.
Rev. Asa Lee — assistant director for programs of the Lewis Center
Dr. Lovett H. Weems, Jr. — distinguished professor of church leadership and director of the Lewis Center
Dr. Ann Michel — associate director of the Lewis Center
Engaging Local Schools
includes three video presentations.
Narrated presentations and resources
Engaging Local Schools
also includes narrated presentations with brief video introductions, other resources, and many supplementary materials related to the videos and presentations.
Other resources and supplementary materials
- What Can Your Church Do Through Partnerships to Support Children, Teachers and Your Public Schools? from the United Church of Christ Justice & Witness Ministries
- 50 Ways to Engage Local Schools, a Lewis Center Resource
- Why Should Churches Serve Children in Poverty? and Communicating a Vision for a Church-School Partnership by Jake McGlothin, Director of Serve Ministries, Floris UMC
- Chart: Identifying Strategic Initiatives
- Experiencing Public Schools: A Process of Immersion and Discernment from the United Church of Christ Justice & Witness Ministries
- Identify Community Ministry Needs by Listening by Joy F. Skjegstad
- Floris UMC’s “Help Hungry Kids” Program Information
- Celebrating Educators Program, Community of Christ, Kansas City, MO
- Demonstrate Vision in Relevant Ways, Impact Church, Atlanta, GA
- The Character Club, Mount Olivet Baptist Church
- Volunteer Handbook, Germantown UMC, Germantown, TN
- Mentoring Guide, PALS Mentoring Program, Floris UMC, Herndon, VA